- ….. you had a free evening AND the weather was dry – hallelujah!!
- you turned up to find out you’re the only one riding on a dry, winter’s night
- you had a mechanical before you even left the car park
- the mud and puddles weren’t quite frozen despite it being just below freezing
- your front mech froze (yes I still use a front mech!) during the ride leaving you on the granny ring but you’re unfit so you were never out of the granny ring anyway
- it felt like -20 when it was only -2
- you lost the feeling in your toes half way round your route
- you had the trails to yourself and the fellow bikers you met were friendly and enjoying themselves
- you got back and noticed the mud had frozen onto the bike and it’s set like concrete
- you kept the heating off in the car on the way home so the frozen mud didn’t melt and create a swamp in the car boot
- you got home and felt happy that you made the effort and had another winter ride to remember.
Forecast is for cold and dry tonight so I’ll be up at the hall about 7pm for a local ride – any takers?
Please note that it’s the club’s AGM on Wednesday 29th Nov (arrive 7pm for 7:30pm start).
- To submit any points for the AGM agenda then please email info[AT]gmbc[DOT]org[DOT]uk by Monday 20th Nov.
- A finalised agenda and previous AGM minutes will be made available before the 2017 AGM (hopefully by 22nd Nov).
Currently the plan is to host the AGM in the lounge area upstairs at the sports club and as per previous years, there will be some light refreshments available as well as the famous GMBC AGM prize draw.
It’s YOUR club so we encourage everyone to participate in the AGM so you can have your say about what’s working well and what we can do to make the club better for its members. Hope to see you there.
Graham (GMBC Chairman, on behalf of the Committee)
It’s open to club members and a partner. Booking details and menu options are available on our WebCollect site:
Is the club going to produce a calendar again for 2018?
Posted by Barry on FB. Saturday 28th Oct, from 7:30pm onwards in Coopers pub on Great Western Road.
All welcome; whether you’re a GMBC member or not, come along, say “Hi” and enjoy some banter.
It’s only a few weeks to the club’s 30th anniversary weekend away! There’s still some spaces left for the trip. The hostel is in a great location in the Trossachs, surrounded by lochs and mountains and some great biking for all abilities. The Trossachs Tryst hostel has been renovated since our last visit with a new kitchen and bathroom facilities and it still has the great indoor and outdoor space to host our weekend.
Apart from some great rides and plenty of laughs, what can you expect from the weekend away? Here’s a rough plan:
Friday 18th – The Starters
- Arrive at hostel from 4pm onwards – don’t turn up early – you won’t get access
- Meals: local food at the Lade Inn pub or make use of the new kitchen to prepare your own
- Events: possible short, non-techy evening ride up nearby Ben Gullipen, start time TBC (hopefully at the top in time for sunset), socialising in the hostel
Saturday 19th – The Main Course
- 10am – local rides depart
- Ride Option 1: Angus – techy
- Ride Option 2: Graham – mix of trails, some tech, some fireroad, looking for distance and scenery
- Ride Option 3: TBC – if there’s any interest in this option then we’ll need a volunteer to host it – an easy ride, focus on chilling out and social
- Rides aim to return 3-4pm, after that it’s the afternoon/evening entertainment, including:
- team competitions
- fantastic GMBC BBQ
- the (in)famous GMBC Big Fat 30th Anniversary Quiz
- prize giving/awards ceremony & cake
Hi folks, Chris Lowe and I are developing an app to make finding new cycling routes much easier – be it an epic MTB in the wilderness or some new trails around home. It will also serve other forms of cycling (road cycling, commuting etc.) for those interested.
Could you help us out by taking our short survey (3 mins)?
The survey is here – https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3VZ6WHQ
Feel free to share it with anyone interested.
Thanks for your help,
This has been a bit quiet. Next three weekends, who fancies one or more of:
- Pitlochry/Loch Bhac
- Wanlochead Gold Rush (this is a big one)
- Suggest something
Anybody that rides regularly midweek is capable of any of those (intro riders, I’m pointing at you), they’re all old skool XC, might be a bit bigger in terms of time/distance, but the pace will be regulated to take that into account. Come and join us…
So short notice, but anybody up for one of these on Sunday? And the following weekends?
Hi. We’ve been contacted by a TV casting company looking for “mainly female” mountain bikers. So if you’re “mainly female” and you fancy a bit of fame and some cash to buy lots of shiny bike bits then here’s the request from Danny @ etcasting which he sent to Dales Cycles…..
“I’m currently looking for mainly female mountain bikers (from all over the UK) for an exciting online commercial for a well known shopping brand.
Successful candidates will be paid £300 – £1500 each for 1 day of filming between 3rd – 6th August 2017.
To be considered you must be available to meet us via Skype or Facetime for a brief chat sometime between Saturday 15th – Thursday 20th July 2017. No acting experience necessary. We’re just looking for people who are happy to share their stories and skills with us!
If this is you or anyone you know, please go to: http://www.etcasting.com/pages
We are looking for lots of mountain bikers so please spread the word!
I have also attached a printable flyer we have designed for the campaign, if you do have the time and wouldn’t mind printing and displaying to the customers of your store it would be hugely appreciated. Please do feel free to apply yourself as well as any staff or friends as we are taking applications for both male and female mountain bikers.
Thank you for your time and help!
Kind Regards, Danny”