Hello, GMBCers & friends of the club!
GMBC is turning 30 this year and to celebrate we propose a weekend of riding and general good fun. The birthday party will be on the 18th – 20th August and we have booked the Trossachs Tryst in Callander. All are invited: club members, friends & family, whether cyclists or not. We don’t *always* talk about bikes…
This is intended to be a weekend for all abilities, with multiple rides planned on both days to suit all levels. Our sponsor Dales Cycles will hopefully be involved – full details of that to follow. There will also be food, quiz, BBQ and guaranteed good company.
The accommodation is a beautiful house exclusively for us. There are five dorms (two 4-bed, one 6-bed and two 8-bed) and it’s about an hour’s drive from Glasgow.
Destination for 30th Anniversary Weekend
All this for the bargain price of £40 per person! The hostel policy has a minimum stay of 2 nights, so unfortunately we can’t offer a single night option.
Don’t miss out – book your space(s) via the link below (you’ll need to sign up or sign in, buy ticket(s) for the event and then transfer the money into the club’s bank account, ideally using the reference code or else your name). If you want to bring friends & family you can buy multiple tickets and you’ll be presented with multiple forms to fill in.
Cheers & see you soon!
Hi, this is a request to regular GMBC riders. We’ve had quite a lot of interest from new riders about the Intro rides at 7pm on Wednesdays. Last week we had 18 folks out on the Intro ride with a fair % being new to the club and/or the sport. If you’re a regular rider and fancy getting out on the Intro ride then it would be great if you could do your bit to help the ride go smoothly. Things like either taking a split of better riders off for a faster/more techy ride or helping out with headcounts, marking junctions & turns or riding at the back making sure the group you’re in stays together. Thanks to Chris, Rob, Neil and Ryzsard for keeping an eye out for folks last week. With the good weather we could see a good turn out again this week so having a few regulars on hand is a great help to keep things moving.
In order to meet some of the minimum quantities for the top order from Pactimo, we had to by some extras. Therefore the following 30th anniversary club tops are available for club members to buy;
Men’s Continental 2.0 Jersey, Size L (fits small, so more like a M) £40.80
Men’s Trail SS Jersey, Size M £46.20
Men’s Trail LS Jersey, Size L £60
You can find more details on the tops – https://www.pactimo-custom.com/
Ewan Evans has the tops at his work so get in touch with him if you are interested in buying a top or checking the sizing. His details below;
Xtreme Auto Tints
104 Dalsholm Road
0141 945 65555
After what seems an age, the 30th Anniversary club tops are now in our possession and they are looking good!
I’m away on holiday next week so Ewan Evans has stepped in to help distribute the tops to everyone who placed an order. He’ll be out on various weekday rides (and the skills training on Saturday at Cathkin), which he will post up about on Facebook or they can be collected from his work during the day. Address and contact details below, best to give him a call before you collect as he is out and about quite a lot.
Xtreme Auto Tints
104 Dalsholm Road
0141 945 65555
All of the orders are individually packaged and have your names on them so it will be easy to find your top. There’s also a sheet with your order details to confirm. If there are any problems let me know.
There are also a few spare tops for sale which I’ll post up about separately.
As the weather looks stunning for the next couple of evenings, Keiran and I are planning a ride tomorrow (Friday) evening. Usual MO, 7pm(ish) start, out for a couple of hours, with scope for post-ride refreshment at The Burnbrae. Pace will be relaxed. All welcome, post up if interested.
Hi. Like last week we may have a few new faces out on this week’s Intro ride so are any regular riders out this week? If so then post up and I’ll let you know which new folks to expect. It looks like a mix of novices and folks returning to the sport after a break.
Here’s a quick roundup of events happening at the club:
- the website is back online after it was hacked – it was fixed by applying “The Dark Lord” anti-malware patch. Security has been beefed up. We don’t keep any sensitive info on the site so the risks are low but probably best change your passwords.
- the Glasgow Grit SMBO is on Sunday, based out of the hall, 3 hours of well organised MTB orienteering around the area – come and give it a bash. We need to see GMBC types on the podium! Fantasy MTBr league points up for grabs!!
- Following some interest at the AGM last year, and as per the chat on FB, Ewan is about to organise some bike skills training so keep your eyes posted for that.
- We’re working our way towards renovating the courtyard at the hall to turn it a bit of useful space for the club, including a bike wash & bike maintenance area.
- 30th Anniversary updates – exclusive, Italian designed club tops are ordered and we’ll be announcing details of the weekend away (18-20th Aug) soon. It’ll be a weekend of biking, BBQ’s, booze, banter & Barry & Graham’s pub quiz.
- Watch out for some exciting plans as we team up with Dales Cycles for an “open day” for non-members/our Facebook followers combined with local rides for club members and a finishing up with a BBQ
- Lots and lots of summer rides in the pipeline!!
I not out tonight but I’m asking on behalf of a new rider called Ross who wants to join us tonight. He’s been riding the red at Glentress and his fitness is OK so he’s keen on giving Tuesdays a go. Can you post up here or on FB to say if you’re going. Thanks.
It’s a ride I’ve always wondered about doing; through the Old Kilpatricks via Duncolm. The recent dry spell of weather meant it would be the perfect time for having a bash at it. And so, maps, satellite views and old GPX files were consulted and a plan was hatched. What about the weather? The forecast was for increasing cloud. Ahh, keep the base layer, ditch the suncream then. Big mistake….
I can see the pub from here….and by that I mean the Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha