Here’s a quick roundup of events happening at the club:
- the website is back online after it was hacked – it was fixed by applying “The Dark Lord” anti-malware patch. Security has been beefed up. We don’t keep any sensitive info on the site so the risks are low but probably best change your passwords.
- the Glasgow Grit SMBO is on Sunday, based out of the hall, 3 hours of well organised MTB orienteering around the area – come and give it a bash. We need to see GMBC types on the podium! Fantasy MTBr league points up for grabs!!
- Following some interest at the AGM last year, and as per the chat on FB, Ewan is about to organise some bike skills training so keep your eyes posted for that.
- We’re working our way towards renovating the courtyard at the hall to turn it a bit of useful space for the club, including a bike wash & bike maintenance area.
- 30th Anniversary updates – exclusive, Italian designed club tops are ordered and we’ll be announcing details of the weekend away (18-20th Aug) soon. It’ll be a weekend of biking, BBQ’s, booze, banter & Barry & Graham’s pub quiz.
- Watch out for some exciting plans as we team up with Dales Cycles for an “open day” for non-members/our Facebook followers combined with local rides for club members and a finishing up with a BBQ
- Lots and lots of summer rides in the pipeline!!
I not out tonight but I’m asking on behalf of a new rider called Ross who wants to join us tonight. He’s been riding the red at Glentress and his fitness is OK so he’s keen on giving Tuesdays a go. Can you post up here or on FB to say if you’re going. Thanks.
It’s a ride I’ve always wondered about doing; through the Old Kilpatricks via Duncolm. The recent dry spell of weather meant it would be the perfect time for having a bash at it. And so, maps, satellite views and old GPX files were consulted and a plan was hatched. What about the weather? The forecast was for increasing cloud. Ahh, keep the base layer, ditch the suncream then. Big mistake….
I can see the pub from here….and by that I mean the Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha
Hi. I’m planning a big day out tomorrow with the aim of getting further afield in the local area. Basically out to the Kilpatricks, through them to the Whangie and back into the local trails. Option of a cafe stop out at Eden Mill but take food in case you need it before we get there. More blurb here:
Sunday Local Ride
Hi, anyone up for a local ride tonight? I’ll be up at the hall about 7:15pm for 7:30pm departure, probably out for a few hours. Maybe a cold drink in the Burnbrae afterwards?
The Pactimo shop is now open..finally!
The 30th anniversary club tops will be available to buy through the Pactimo shop until Tuesday 9th May.
To enter the shop, go to https://teamstore.pactimo.com/stores/select click my team store, then input glasgowmountainbike password in the below window
A few important points;
- ‘If people are using a visa debit, they should inform their bank otherwise their purchase transaction will be blocked by their bank as believing to be fraud. We are a US based clothing company and so banks will block the transaction to protect the client. When banks are informed prior to placing the order with us transactions go through with no incident. Please do inform the team otherwise their cards will be block. Visa and Master card are accepted but not American Express. ‘
- ‘ENTERED ORDERS CAN’T BE CANCELLED, if a wrong size is entered we can alter it BEFORE we close the team store but not after the store has been closed.’
- There are a couple of small errors with logo positioning on the tops shown in the shop. Don’t worry, these have been corrected for the production templates.
- Please do not ask Pactimo to re-open the shop if you are late to purchase a top. This delays the whole order for everyone.
The fit kit will be available for the last time at tonight’s ride (Wednesday 03-05-17) as I have to send it back tomorrow.
Any questions, give me a shout
We are now in the final stages of the club top design and will hopefully have the online shop open at the end of this week or the start of next week.
Below is a sample of what the final design will look like on the continental top. All the variations will be available to view when the shop opens. (Kudos to Mario for the work he has put in with the top design.)
We will be offering the following tops;
S/S Continental Top – male/female
L/S Continental Top – male/female
S/S Trail Top – male/female
L/S Trial Top – male/female
Brekenridge WX-D Vest – male/female
You can find details on the tops here – https://www.pactimocustom.com/collections/mountain-biking
Sizing Kit – I will make the sizing kit available at the sports club before and after the evening rides on the follow days;
Please let me know if you are planning on coming to try on the sizing kit. If anyone can’t make these dates get in touch and I’ll see what we can do. Other people trying on the tops can also give feedback on what the actual sizing is like.
More details to follow.
If anyone isn’t doing the first aid etc. and fancies a ride this Saturday (22nd April), I’m heading up to the King’s House Hotel to ride ciaran path via the devil’s staircase.
Good couple of options for mid- and post- ride refreshment, though be prepared for rocky technical trails (I’ll be taking pads) and obviously the usual weather.
Riding from 10.30 at King’s House. Should be a good day out, the forecast is good!
Come join us on Sunday 21st May 2017 for a bit of mountain bike orienteering in and around Mugdock Country Park and surrounding areas!
Following on from the success of the 2016 event, Glasgow Mountain Bike Club are hosting round 3 of the Scottish Mountain Bike Orienteering Summer 2017 Series http://www.smbo.org.uk/mugdock-2017/, and promises to be a really fun day out.
Last year we hosted around 45 riders, where the age range spanned 50 years and everyone came back with a smile on their face so we will be aiming for more of the same. The course takes in woodland, moors and even a castle. A mix of walkers’ paths, fire roads, some fun technical trails and hills mean the event is suitable for all abilities whether you just want to have fun or are looking for more of a challenge.
The event will be based at GMBC HQ at Milngavie and Bearsden Sports Club, with ample parking and toilet/changing facilities. Registration will be open from 9am, and results and prize-winners announced from 2:30pm. Using the marked-up maps provided, you start at the sports club and try and find as many checkpoints as you can in three hours. There’s no defined route, and checkpoints vary in distance, location and points! Tea, coffee, soup and cake will be available, and results and prize-winners will be announced at the sports club afterwards. Continue reading
Mark your calendars for the GMBC 30th Anniversary Weekender on 18-20th August.
We’ve booked the Trossachs Tryst hostel in Callander for a weekend of biking, BBQ’s and fun! More details to follow.