Just to confirm, the 7pm local Intro ride is on this week in case you don’t fancy the hike-a-bike up Ben Lomond. I’m mulling a Burncrooks expedition this week, maybe even a Whangie loop if there’s time and it suits the group.
We’ve been advised that there will be trail running events in Mugdock Park on Thu 14th and Thu 21st June (7 – 9:30pm both nights). If you’re riding on either of those nights then please be aware that you may be sharing the trails with more people than normal.
Hi, I’ll be along for the Tue 7pm ride this week. I’ll not be particularly quick but I’m planning on riding some techy trails while they’re so dry. I’ll also be along for the Wed 7pm Intro ride – and there’s a rumour that ex-pat, ex-club members Jo and/or Al Byford may make an appearance for the Intro ride.
Here’s a message that came in to GMBC from the G4S recruitment for the Glasgow 2018 European Games (and other events)….
I’m getting in touch with local Glasgow cycling clubs regarding opportunities for staff and members (who are over 18) to work at the Glasgow 2018 European Championships.
As you’ve probably heard, cycling will be a big part of the championships and we will be supplying Event Stewards for Road Cycling races across Glasgow, Stirling and East Dunbartonshire, Track Cycling at The Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Mountain Biking at Cathkin Braes and BMX at Knightswood Park. In addition to the 2018 championships we also have other exciting events coming up such as Ed Sheeran at Hampden, Bruno Mars, TRNSMT Festival & year round events at the SSE Hydro.
The work is on a casual basis to fit around existing commitments and involves tasks like checking tickets, showing people to their seats and providing general information and assistance to the public.
It’s a great opportunity to earn extra money whilst playing a part in these historical games.
Applications are to be made through the G4S Careers Portal and interviews can be selected and booked by applicants using our online booking system. You will also find further information regarding the role through this link:
If you would like any further information about this please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Recruitment Officer – Scotland
G4S Events, Secure Solutions (UK) ltd ”
For more info contact
Come and celebrate/commiserate* as club stalwart and part-time MTB model/pin up heads up to Inverness to get out of his GMBC Committee actions.
(*delete as applicable)
This coming Sunday (08-April) is path maintenance session #2. We need as many folks as possible. The plan is to work on Riverside again. It’s a popular path and some sections aren’t holding up well so the Ranger has suggested some repair work on the wider, muddy sections. This means we need quite a few bodies to complete it on the day so if you’re free please put yourself forward, even if you can only attend for a few hours.
The day’s work is planned from 10am to approx 3pm. Meet at the boulders on Khyber Road.
If you want to join this session then please email info[AT]gmbc[DOT]org[DOT]uk so we can plan the work etc.
Hi. For anyone coming along to tomorrow’s trail maintenance session, we’ll be meeting at the boulders on the WHW at Khyber Road to do some work on the WHW and Riverside. Please remember the clocks go forward on Sunday so the 10am start time might feel a bit earlier than normal.
We’re planning 2 dates for trail maintenance within Mugdock Country Park this Spring and we’re looking for volunteers to help out. The dates are Sunday 25-Mar and Sunday 08-Apr. If you want to join the session then please email info[AT]gmbc[DOT]org[DOT]uk so we can plan the work. More details about the work will follow shortly.
- ….. you had a free evening AND the weather was dry – hallelujah!!
- you turned up to find out you’re the only one riding on a dry, winter’s night
- you had a mechanical before you even left the car park
- the mud and puddles weren’t quite frozen despite it being just below freezing
- your front mech froze (yes I still use a front mech!) during the ride leaving you on the granny ring but you’re unfit so you were never out of the granny ring anyway
- it felt like -20 when it was only -2
- you lost the feeling in your toes half way round your route
- you had the trails to yourself and the fellow bikers you met were friendly and enjoying themselves
- you got back and noticed the mud had frozen onto the bike and it’s set like concrete
- you kept the heating off in the car on the way home so the frozen mud didn’t melt and create a swamp in the car boot
- you got home and felt happy that you made the effort and had another winter ride to remember.