- ….. you had a free evening AND the weather was dry – hallelujah!!
- you turned up to find out you’re the only one riding on a dry, winter’s night
- you had a mechanical before you even left the car park
- the mud and puddles weren’t quite frozen despite it being just below freezing
- your front mech froze (yes I still use a front mech!) during the ride leaving you on the granny ring but you’re unfit so you were never out of the granny ring anyway
- it felt like -20 when it was only -2
- you lost the feeling in your toes half way round your route
- you had the trails to yourself and the fellow bikers you met were friendly and enjoying themselves
- you got back and noticed the mud had frozen onto the bike and it’s set like concrete
- you kept the heating off in the car on the way home so the frozen mud didn’t melt and create a swamp in the car boot
- you got home and felt happy that you made the effort and had another winter ride to remember.
Forecast is for cold and dry tonight so I’ll be up at the hall about 7pm for a local ride – any takers?
Hi. Anyone up for a ride tomorrow? Clear your hangover, get a start on the new fitness regime. A later midday start at the club hall for anyone feeling a bit rough from the partying. I’ll bring some milk in case there’s no cafes open so we can get a cuppa back at the hall after the ride.
Hi. Anyone fancy a Mugdock ride tomorrow? Forecast is for snow so I expect it to be slippy and icy in places. It won’t be fast. Mid-ride or post-ride cafe stop being planned too. Details in the calendar but I’ll be at the club hall and ready to ride from 10am.
Hi. Is anyone out riding at 7pm on the Intro ride tonight? It’s my first time out on the bike in 5 weeks so I’ll be taking it easy.
Hi. It’s the customary seasonal bimble which is the mince pie (& non-alcoholic mulled punch) ride. It’s a regular ride (maybe a bit shorter than normal) followed by a bit of a social session back at the hall.
It means we’ll buy vast quantities of the cheapest mince pies we can get our hands on so the mince pie mountain lasts us well into June or July 2018. But apparently best before dates are just advisory anyway. Please post up on the club website or on FB to say you’re coming.
Planned for Fri 22-Dec. See Chris’s Facebook post for more info. Or visit this informative and entertaining calendar event describing the mini-adventure….
Please note that it’s the club’s AGM on Wednesday 29th Nov (arrive 7pm for 7:30pm start).
- To submit any points for the AGM agenda then please email info[AT]gmbc[DOT]org[DOT]uk by Monday 20th Nov.
- A finalised agenda and previous AGM minutes will be made available before the 2017 AGM (hopefully by 22nd Nov).
Currently the plan is to host the AGM in the lounge area upstairs at the sports club and as per previous years, there will be some light refreshments available as well as the famous GMBC AGM prize draw.
It’s YOUR club so we encourage everyone to participate in the AGM so you can have your say about what’s working well and what we can do to make the club better for its members. Hope to see you there.
Graham (GMBC Chairman, on behalf of the Committee)
Ride report: up, up, up, steep up, flatter but windy, icy headwind = cold teeth, descend through muddy ruts and trees, more up, great tailwind, hike-a-bike, cold sidewind, more muddy ruts, great views, great chat, fast & slidey descent, beautiful sunshine, steep, twisty trails. Smiles all round at the bottom.
Here’s what you missed:
I’ll be doing this ride tomorrow. I’m not fit/fast just now but I have a time constraint so I’ll be wanting to keep moving to make sure I get the miles in before it’s game over. It should be a cold, clear day tomorrow so that steep, steep climb up the front will be an ideal warm up 😉 There’s no cafe stops en route so bring food/munchies. Depending on progress there may be an option for some extra loops or extending it.
Meet at Kilpatrick station & ready to ride for 9am.