It’s only a few weeks to the club’s 30th anniversary weekend away! There’s still some spaces left for the trip. The hostel is in a great location in the Trossachs, surrounded by lochs and mountains and some great biking for all abilities. The Trossachs Tryst hostel has been renovated since our last visit with a new kitchen and bathroom facilities and it still has the great indoor and outdoor space to host our weekend.
Apart from some great rides and plenty of laughs, what can you expect from the weekend away? Here’s a rough plan:
Friday 18th – The Starters
- Arrive at hostel from 4pm onwards – don’t turn up early – you won’t get access
- Meals: local food at the Lade Inn pub or make use of the new kitchen to prepare your own
- Events: possible short, non-techy evening ride up nearby Ben Gullipen, start time TBC (hopefully at the top in time for sunset), socialising in the hostel
Saturday 19th – The Main Course
- 10am – local rides depart
- Ride Option 1: Angus – techy
- Ride Option 2: Graham – mix of trails, some tech, some fireroad, looking for distance and scenery
- Ride Option 3: TBC – if there’s any interest in this option then we’ll need a volunteer to host it – an easy ride, focus on chilling out and social
- Rides aim to return 3-4pm, after that it’s the afternoon/evening entertainment, including:
- team competitions
- fantastic GMBC BBQ
- the (in)famous GMBC Big Fat 30th Anniversary Quiz
- prize giving/awards ceremony & cake
Sunday 20th – Just Desserts!
- Check out of the hostel by 10am
- Head over to Aberfoyle for a variety of ride options:
- Dales Cycles – demo day based in Aberfoyle – details TBC
- Local enduro trails or mix of fireroad on offer
- Cafes and/or ice cream to finish before heading home
Some photos from the 25th Anniversary Weekend:
30th Anniversary Weekend Away
- No camping available
- Bedding is provided
- It’s a BYOT hostel – Bring Yer Own Towel
- The Club will provide some breakfast essentials, e.g milk, teabags, fruit maybe,
hangover pills, Red Bull, curry
- Bring your own booze – if you forget then there’s an well stocked bottle shop at the Lade Inn pub nearby(-ish)
Hi. We’ve been contacted by a TV casting company looking for “mainly female” mountain bikers. So if you’re “mainly female” and you fancy a bit of fame and some cash to buy lots of shiny bike bits then here’s the request from Danny @ etcasting which he sent to Dales Cycles…..
“I’m currently looking for mainly female mountain bikers (from all over the UK) for an exciting online commercial for a well known shopping brand.
Successful candidates will be paid £300 – £1500 each for 1 day of filming between 3rd – 6th August 2017.
To be considered you must be available to meet us via Skype or Facetime for a brief chat sometime between Saturday 15th – Thursday 20th July 2017. No acting experience necessary. We’re just looking for people who are happy to share their stories and skills with us!
If this is you or anyone you know, please go to: http://www.etcasting.com/pages/events to apply!
We are looking for lots of mountain bikers so please spread the word!
I have also attached a printable flyer we have designed for the campaign, if you do have the time and wouldn’t mind printing and displaying to the customers of your store it would be hugely appreciated. Please do feel free to apply yourself as well as any staff or friends as we are taking applications for both male and female mountain bikers.
Thank you for your time and help!
Kind Regards, Danny”
Here’s a link to more info.
A change to the usual Intro ride calendar. This time it’s on tour to Catkin Braes. In addition to the Intro ride, Ramsay will be offering a beginner’s skills coaching session. There are more details on the Facebook Group. The plan is to start the Intro ride at 7pm while the skills coaching will run from 6:30-9:30pm.
Intro Ride – Cathkin Braes & Coaching
Hello, GMBCers & friends of the club!
GMBC is turning 30 this year and to celebrate we propose a weekend of riding and general good fun. The birthday party will be on the 18th – 20th August and we have booked the Trossachs Tryst in Callander. All are invited: club members, friends & family, whether cyclists or not. We don’t *always* talk about bikes…
This is intended to be a weekend for all abilities, with multiple rides planned on both days to suit all levels. Our sponsor Dales Cycles will hopefully be involved – full details of that to follow. There will also be food, quiz, BBQ and guaranteed good company.
The accommodation is a beautiful house exclusively for us. There are five dorms (two 4-bed, one 6-bed and two 8-bed) and it’s about an hour’s drive from Glasgow.
Destination for 30th Anniversary Weekend
All this for the bargain price of £40 per person! The hostel policy has a minimum stay of 2 nights, so unfortunately we can’t offer a single night option.
Don’t miss out – book your space(s) via the link below (you’ll need to sign up or sign in, buy ticket(s) for the event and then transfer the money into the club’s bank account, ideally using the reference code or else your name). If you want to bring friends & family you can buy multiple tickets and you’ll be presented with multiple forms to fill in.
Cheers & see you soon!
Hi, this is a request to regular GMBC riders. We’ve had quite a lot of interest from new riders about the Intro rides at 7pm on Wednesdays. Last week we had 18 folks out on the Intro ride with a fair % being new to the club and/or the sport. If you’re a regular rider and fancy getting out on the Intro ride then it would be great if you could do your bit to help the ride go smoothly. Things like either taking a split of better riders off for a faster/more techy ride or helping out with headcounts, marking junctions & turns or riding at the back making sure the group you’re in stays together. Thanks to Chris, Rob, Neil and Ryzsard for keeping an eye out for folks last week. With the good weather we could see a good turn out again this week so having a few regulars on hand is a great help to keep things moving.
Hi. Like last week we may have a few new faces out on this week’s Intro ride so are any regular riders out this week? If so then post up and I’ll let you know which new folks to expect. It looks like a mix of novices and folks returning to the sport after a break.
Here’s a quick roundup of events happening at the club:
- the website is back online after it was hacked – it was fixed by applying “The Dark Lord” anti-malware patch. Security has been beefed up. We don’t keep any sensitive info on the site so the risks are low but probably best change your passwords.
- the Glasgow Grit SMBO is on Sunday, based out of the hall, 3 hours of well organised MTB orienteering around the area – come and give it a bash. We need to see GMBC types on the podium! Fantasy MTBr league points up for grabs!!
- Following some interest at the AGM last year, and as per the chat on FB, Ewan is about to organise some bike skills training so keep your eyes posted for that.
- We’re working our way towards renovating the courtyard at the hall to turn it a bit of useful space for the club, including a bike wash & bike maintenance area.
- 30th Anniversary updates – exclusive, Italian designed club tops are ordered and we’ll be announcing details of the weekend away (18-20th Aug) soon. It’ll be a weekend of biking, BBQ’s, booze, banter & Barry & Graham’s pub quiz.
- Watch out for some exciting plans as we team up with Dales Cycles for an “open day” for non-members/our Facebook followers combined with local rides for club members and a finishing up with a BBQ
- Lots and lots of summer rides in the pipeline!!
I not out tonight but I’m asking on behalf of a new rider called Ross who wants to join us tonight. He’s been riding the red at Glentress and his fitness is OK so he’s keen on giving Tuesdays a go. Can you post up here or on FB to say if you’re going. Thanks.
It’s a ride I’ve always wondered about doing; through the Old Kilpatricks via Duncolm. The recent dry spell of weather meant it would be the perfect time for having a bash at it. And so, maps, satellite views and old GPX files were consulted and a plan was hatched. What about the weather? The forecast was for increasing cloud. Ahh, keep the base layer, ditch the suncream then. Big mistake….
I can see the pub from here….and by that I mean the Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha
Hi. I’m planning a big day out tomorrow with the aim of getting further afield in the local area. Basically out to the Kilpatricks, through them to the Whangie and back into the local trails. Option of a cafe stop out at Eden Mill but take food in case you need it before we get there. More blurb here:
Sunday Local Ride