We’re overdue a club trip/social. So, why not join some GMBCers & sign up for a weekend of riding & social activities at the GMBC-sponsored Single Speed UK event Comrie Croft? What’s the plan?
Fri. 23-Aug to Sun. 25-Aug.
- Friday – a couple of hours evening ride on local hills & trails – mid-ride pit stop at the pub in Comrie, return to the Croft to the onsite bar.
- Saturday – “race” day, it’s a very social & relaxed event followed by food, drinks, prizes, an auction, music & even more socialising
- Sunday – another few hours mellow, social riding and more banter
- Onsite facilities: camping, food shop, bike shop, cafe, toilets/showers
- Prizes provided by Genesis Bikes, Shand Cycles, Glenturret Whisky, Endura, Fibrax & more
More info: Comrie SSUK19 Facebook page and here’s a video of the 2017 version of the European singlespeed event, held in Scotland, so you get a flavour of the atmosphere.
Sign up at the SSUK19 Eventbrite site, £50 for racing, £35 for a non-riding ticket.
Do I need a singlespeed bike? Well, it would be best so you can endure/enjoy the same experience as everyone else and you’ll definitely need one if you expect to trouble the podium. Singlespeeding is a liberating style of bike riding; ditch the gears, simplify your handlebar set up and learn to ride more smoothly.
If you want to convert your bike then singlespeed conversion kits are cheap and easy to install. If you want to take part but don’t want to temporarily convert your bike then you can tape up your shifters for the event. If that’s not an option then ask around your clubmates if you can borrow a bike – there’s a few singlespeeders lurking at GMBC.